Where to qualify as an Arts Therapist

A Masters in Music Therapy is offered at the University of Pretoria. Drama for Life at Wits University offers Honours and Masters degrees in the field of Drama Therapy.

For the other modalities (Art and Dance Movement) one would have to study abroad at a registered University. It is hoped that trainings in these Art Therapies will be offered in South Africa soon.

Registration with the Health Professions Council of South Africa

Arts therapists in South Africa have to be registered with the Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA) in order to practice any of the art therapies. Failure to do so will result in prosecution in terms of Section 34 of the Health Professions Act, 1974.

In order to qualify for registration with Council, a two year Masters Degree in Arts Therapy from a registered University plus 1000 supervised clinical hours of practice is the minimum requirement.

If you are returning from an international Masters level training to work in SA you are required to complete an HPCSA board examination in order to register. Kindly contact Tamara.Gordon-Roberts@wits.ac.za for further information.